PITTSFORD PANTHERS FRC TEAM 3181
We are the Pittsford Panthers FIRST Robotics Competition Team 3181. Made up of students from Pittsford Mendon and Sutherland High Schools, we have been a part of FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) since 2010. Our goal this year is to be the best.
2017 FRC Game: Steamworks
Full steam ahead! This year SteamworksSM is the First Robotics Challenge game, and information regarding the rules have been released.
“FIRST STEAMWORKSSM, the 2017 FIRST Robotics Competition game, invites two adventure clubs from an era in which technology relied on steam power to prepare their airships for the ultimate long distance race.
Each three-team alliance prepares to take flight in three ways:
1. Build Steam Pressure. Robots collect fuel represented by green balls. They score it in high and low goals in their boiler. As fuel is scored steam pressure in the tank on the alliance’s airship builds – the high goal builds pressure faster than the low goal.
2. Start Rotors. Robots retrieve and deliver gears to pilots on their airship who then install them on the appropriate rotor. Once a gear train is complete the rotor can be started.
3. Prepare for Flight. Adventure clubs want their robots to climb aboard their airships so they can assist the pilots during the race.
Robots operate independently from preprogrammed instructions for the first 15 seconds.
Adventure clubs score points by:
• Reaching their baseline
• Delivering gears to the airship
• Scoring fuel into the boilers
Operators take control for the final two minutes and fifteen seconds.
Adventure Clubs continue to score points by:
• Collecting and delivering gears to their airship
• Scoring fuel in the boilers
• Climbing the ropes on their airship to prepare for flight
• Populating gear trains to start rotors
• Defending against other Adventure Clubs
The adventure club with the highest score at the end of the match is best prepared for the race and wins.“
More information can be found here.
FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) is an organization dedicated to promote science and technology to future achievers. FIRST offers a variety of programs to have students solve real world problems. They help develop young minds throughout the world, and inspire future generations to strive for the best.
FIRST hosts a yearly competition known as the FIRST Tech Challenge, or FTC. Each year, FIRST gives each team a challenge, and the teams have to build a robot in six weeks that can solve the challenge. The tasks in these challenges range from stacking totes to overcoming obstacles to shooting frisbees into goals, and are presented in the form of a game. At the end of six weeks, robots are sent to storage and stay there until the competition, where they compete to gain the most points by completing the most tasks.
To learn more about FIRST and FRC, click here
Theme provided by Elegant Themes